Wow, I am 28 years old. I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea that I am two years shy from the big 30 but I am also quite happy that I am in this stage in my life. 28 isn’t really as bad as I thought it would be.
Of course, I’ve learned several things in my 28 years of existence in this world, these 28 being the most important ones:
1. Happiness is what you make of it. Being happy is a choice that you have to make. It is your reward to yourself and you deserve it.
2. You can’t please everyone. There will always be haters, no matter how good you are, and you can only do so much to change their perception of you.
3. Being in the worst situation in life doesn’t mean that you are not blessed. Blessings come in the tiniest packages sometimes. You just have to find them every day.
4. Be the bigger person in any situation because most of the things that will annoy you aren’t really worth fighting for. No matter how angry you are, stop and think things thoroughly before taking action. Most of the time, it’s wiser to sit back and let the situation die a natural death.
5. Say “thank you” as often as you can. These words are so rarely said these days that they’re already considered a precious gift.
6. Value every moment you have with your family. They will not be here forever so make sure they know you love them.
7. Invest in memories, not things. Shopping can only make you happy for a while but memories with family, friends and loved ones will surely last forever.
8. Life, in general, is full of uncertainty, so take a chance because you can’t die wondering about the what ifs.
9. Give it all you’ve got because it’s the only way for you to have no regrets. Yes, they say that you have to spare some but when you give your absolute best at something or someone, you can always walk away happy, no matter what the outcome.
10. If you can’t do anything about something that worries you, stop worrying about it. Worry only when you can already take action.
11. Say sorry even if you think you’re right. It takes absolute humility to apologise. Do it anyway and you’ll find that unique sense of happiness within you.
12. Never lose sight of respect even if it’s not given to you. No matter how good you are, there are people who will belittle you and most of the time, you will want to fight back. But you have to respect them enough to walk away because only then can you show true maturity. It’s not only your gift for them. It’s also your gift to yourself.
13. You need not pressure yourself to be the greatest because you are already great in your own unique way. Never feel like you’re only second best because you’re not. You are greater than you think.
14. Choose your battles because most, if not all of your enemies are not worth your time. Don’t be stomped at, however, and learn to draw the line between letting them slide and claiming your right to proper treatment.
15. When it comes to friendship, quality always wins over quantity. A handful of honest and real friends is way better than a squad who talks behind your back every moment they get.
16. Take a few minutes out of your day to spend quiet time with God. You’ll never know how much this can change your life.
17. You’re never stuck in a rut even if you feel that you are. You may feel that you’re not going anywhere but you’re actually right where you’re supposed to be at this time in your life.
18. Have a good cry every once in a while. Crying isn’t a sign of weakness but a sign of true strength.
19. Say “I love you” as often as you can. People will be old enough to forget your name one day, but they’ll surely never forget how much you love them.
20. Find ways to stay creative. It will help you in a lot of situations.
21. Keep your passion alive by doing something that you really love every once in a while. It could be cooking, lettering or singing.
22. Value your money. There’s no shame in being frugal. You worked hard for it, spend it wisely.
23. Always have a pen and paper handy. You’ll never know when inspiration will strike.
24. Be inspired. Read your favourite blog, browse through Pinterest, listen to your favourite songs or hug your beloved. Inspiration is your fuel to accomplishing a lot of things in life. Never lose it.
25. Value what you have even if you think you don’t have much. A lot of other people would trade everything to be in your shoes.
26. Love those who hate you. Holding on to anger can so easily make you lose sight of the good things in your life. Never let that happen.
27. Embrace every day as it comes. Live in the present and cherish every moment as if it’s your last.
28. Love fully because you were created to do so. Some people will never understand your choices but at the end of the day, it’s your life and only you will know exactly how to live it.